Machine Embroidery can seem very difficult to get the hang of, but with this course, Gail will have you underway in no time! You'll be trying out and creatively using the automatic stitches your machine has in the first project, a card. After that you'll set up your machine to 'machine darning' settings and undertake first a simple embroidered bag (pattern supplied) and then a gorgeous machine embroidered tree which can be personalized to fit in with your own colour scheme.
After this course you'll be using your sewing machine in a whole new way and welcoming in a new, more creative you!
Gail has numerous City & Guilds qualifications, Teaching Certificate in Adult and Further Education, BTEC Diploma in Art & Design, Bachelor of Design (Hons) specialising in design for Textiles & Metal, Post Grad Cert in Education, MA in Education and a PhD in Education. Her interests are particularly in machine embroidery & computer aided design. Gail enjoys gardening, walking and Hatha yoga in her free time.
What You'll Need
- Sewing machine with darning function and spare needles
- Selection of sewing threads - cotton or polyester
- Scrap fabric
- Stiffener: Vilene (interfacing), Stitch'n'Tear of other similar tear away stabilizer
- Backing fabric such as calico or lining fabric
- Printed off course templates
- Masking tape.
- Medium weight furnishing fabric 11x16” (27.5x40cm)
- Chunky yarn or similar
- Sheet of Cellophane
- Permanent marker
- Wooden stick such as kebab skewer.
- Stiff canvas fabric to suit size of your intended frame, but at least 12x9” (30x22.5cm)
- Fabric for back of tree approx 10x7.5cm (4x3”)
- Machine manual (try online if you no longer have yours at http://www.freesewingmachinemanuals.com)
- Embroidery hoop
- Bondaweb (Wunderunder)
- Stitch n Tear
- General sewing basket
- Scissors, pins, after pins, needles, tape etc.
- Iron and ironing board
- Masking Tape
Frequently Asked Questions
If you're not a complete beginner at Machine Embroidery and would really like to undertake a course which is more advanced, then you can choose to undertake a City & Guilds accredited Machine Embroidery course with Gail or another City & Guilds of London accredited textile course in a different subject with SST. You can review all of our course subjects and levels on our website.